Discovering Dhanushkodi

It's been a long-time dream of mine to visit Dhanushkodi, and for some reason, this desire has wait around in my thoughts for quite some time. Finally, the opportunity presented itself one day in February 2023. There were two destinations that had been on my mind for an extended period—Dhanushkodi and Shirdi. Despite my efforts to plan this trip with friends from school, college, and work, no one seemed interested or willing to join. At a certain point, I decided to start on this journey as a solo trip.


How to reach Dhanushkodi? 

There are two trains departing from Chennai, and they cover various districts of Tamil Nadu. Review the route and plan your journey accordingly.

  1. RAMESHWARAM EXP (22661) - 17:45 - 03:13
  2. MS RMM EXPRESS (16751) - 19:15 - 07:08

I opted for the RMM Express, which proved to be quite convenient for my two-day trip. I initiated my travel on Friday.

Day 1:

Upon arriving at Rameshwaram station, I opted for a horse ride vehicle to reach the hotel I had booked. Trying the horse ride was a unique experience, especially since we are used to autos and cabs in the city.

Hotels to stay:

Hotel Rameshwaram Grand -  https://maps.app.goo.gl/zcYydNMeK9gZvLE88
Selvamurugan Residencyhttps://maps.app.goo.gl/jvAptQ9npF8cUPho9
Hotel Rama Placehttps://maps.app.goo.gl/YhhAVf4hayXH7vsd6

I chose to stay at Hotel Rameshwaram Grand, a clean, neat, and cozy accommodation. The cost for a 24-hour stay in the mentioned hotels ranges from 1200 to 2200, making it suitable for families as well. For those seeking a stay under 1000, exploring and selecting hotels on Temple Street, near the temple, is a viable option.

After refreshing at the hotel, I headed to visit the Sri Ramanathaswamy Temple. Taking a dip in the 23 theerthams (holy water bodies) in and around the temple is considered integral for washing away sins. All the theerthams are within the temple premises, except for Agnitheertham, situated at the sea a few hundred meters before the temple's east gate. There are individuals in white outside the temple who offer to guide you to the theerthams. Opting for this service, I paid 200 for a person, avoiding the need to wait in queues. The guide took me to all the theertham wells in ascending order, providing a complete dip with a bucket. After this, I had a darshan of the main deity.



Exiting the temple, I had breakfast at Sri Murugan Mess (https://maps.app.goo.gl/jwGbGMEoExwg5nWN7). Typically, I prefer a good vegetarian breakfast when visiting temples early in the morning, and this place was a pure bliss for me. However, exploring other renowned restaurants is also recommended. Murugan Mess undoubtedly met my expectations.

Then hired a auto of charge 500 to have a round trip for listed place visits.

  • House of Kalam.
  • APJ Abdul Kalam Memorial
  • Sri Panchmukhi Hanuman Temple and Floating Stones.
  • Ramar Padam 
  • Villoondi Theertham


Visiting Dr. Kalam's house and memorial was a delightful experience, and for some reason, it gave me goosebumps. Another remarkable sight was the floating stones, with stories suggesting that during the construction of a bridge to Sri Lanka, the stones touched by Lord Ram's feet began to float on the sea instead of sinking. The floating stones are considered witnesses to this belief.

After exploring these sites, the driver dropped me off at the bus stand around 3 PM, from where I boarded a bus to Dhanushkodi. The distance is just 25 km from Rameshwaram, and the journey takes approximately 45 minutes.

I first visited the mysterious Ghost town of Dhanushkodi and then immersed myself in the sea waves, bathing on the beach. If you enjoy photography, the mornings are the best time to capture stunning shots of the seashore and the ghost town buildings. Revel in the crystal-clear waves along the shores of Dhanushkodi Beach.


Arichal Munai is a must-visit spot, known as the last road of India. From here, Sri Lanka is only 16 nautical miles away, and you may receive a signal from Sri Lankan networks welcoming you.

Experiencing the sunset at this location is a unique vibe. I arrived at the right time, enjoyed salted mangoes and sweet corn with chili toppings, found a spot on a rock facing the sea, and waited for the sun to set.

The gradient of the sunset, combined with the drizzle of water waves hitting the rocks, provided a remarkably pleasant calmness.

Don't miss the opportunity to savor the rustic and delicious seafood served on the shores of Dhanushkodi. I never pass up such culinary attractions during my travels, so I had a seafood dinner there and returned to my room by bus, wrapping up the day at 8:30 PM for a good night's sleep and freshness for the next day.

Day 2:

I kicked off the day at 7 AM with breakfast at Hotel Aryaas within the Goswamy Madam. Following that, I headed to the Shiva Boating House for a 30-minute boat ride, providing a splendid, clear view of the Ramanathaswamy Temple Gopuram.



Timings: 6 AM - 5:30 PM
Per head - 100 ruppes.

Next on the agenda was Holy Island Water Sports, situated adjacent to the Shiva Boating House, offering a variety of water sports activities. Although my initial choice was scuba diving, budget constraints led me to opt for jetskiing, which was priced at around 600 per person. Riding and circling under the iconic Pamban Bridge was a thrilling experience, especially considering that we often only catch glimpses of it from the train or road. The panoramic view of the Pamban Bridge during this ride was truly exceptional, offering more than just an adrenaline rush at sea. If you find yourself in Rameshwaram, I highly recommend trying out any water sports to witness the landscape view of the Pamban Bridge from the sea.

Timing: Differs based on sport , but 6PM all sports will close
Contact : 9514424410

Later in the day, I visited the Gulf of Mannar Marine National Park, recognized as the first marine national park in India. Home to over 3600 different species of flora and fauna, along with approximately 180 different kinds of birds, the park is a treasure trove of biodiversity. A must-try experience here is the glass-bottomed boat ride. This unique ride takes you to a small island raised above the sands, offering a breathtaking view of coral reefs and rocks. You can also observe these wonders through the glass window as you navigate the sea.



Eco Tourism Contact - 8610993232
Boating : 200 ruppes per head
Timing : 10AM - 4PM (Tuesday Holiday)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Day Commute

PONGAL - 2024

THE RED CARPET - 2023